POSITION AVAILABLE: Administrative Assistant
Reporting to the City Secretary, the Administrative Assistant position involves a wide range of complex detailed administrative duties that includes a full range of secretarial functions for the City of Jefferson. Work assignments are performed in accordance with established State and Federal rules and regulations covering municipal government, ordinances, open records, public information, elections, open meetings, and administrative law.
Essential Functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include but are not limited to any of the following representative duties, knowledge, skills, abilities, and physical or mental demands.
- Assist the City Secretary in the performance of duties as prescribed by Local Government Code Chapter 22.073 and in accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act, Texas Public Information Act, Texas Administrative Code and Texas Election Code. (Including but not limited to: Creating and or updating documents and forms; Preparation of meeting agendas, council packets, and notices; Research, gather information and documentation on requests for public information, responding to questions on ordinances, permits, event applications and annual audits; Posting journal entries and running reports in the accounting software; assistance in preparation of City General and Special Elections)
- Assist with the procurement of grants and selection review at the request of City Council.
- Assist with maintaining the City website to include preparing content, building pages, posting notices, and keeping up to date with website posting requirements.
- Assist with the development and implementation of an internal filing system.
- Assist with general human resource duties.
- Performs other miscellaneous job duties as required or necessary.
Knowledge, Skills Abilities and Requirements
- Knowledge related to the administration and functions of local government.
- Knowledge of government/municipal fund accounting.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications with ability to navigate and prepare complex reports.
- Application of good knowledge of the Texas Public Information Act and Texas Open Meetings Act.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment with proficiency.
- Ability to thoroughly and accurately proof read, edit, prepare and/or analyze various complex documents with strong independence.
- Ability to file, index, create documents, retrieve documents accurately and possess excellent organizational skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, officials, customers, and the general pub
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Two (2) years of administrative office experience minimum
- Valid Texas Driver’s License
All applicants must submit a resume or an application to email@example.com for consideration. This position is open to the general public. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The City of Jefferson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Melissa Boyd, City Secretary
City of Jefferson
305 E. Austin St.
Jefferson, TX 75657